Getting Started with GooHost!
This Getting Started guide will help you start making the most
of GooHost immediately!
You will learn how to:
- HOST your domains
- UPLOAD to your FTP
To learn how to set-up email addresses please log into your GooHost
control panel, click on Knowledge Base and see the topics under
Advanced Users - Quick Set-up
Guide! (Beginners please skip this!)
If you want a detailed step-by-step guide please scroll down.
If you are used to web hosting then here is the information
you need in summary:
To host a domain, change the DNS server to the ones above.
- Log into your control panel via www.goohost.co.uk
- Click DOMAIN CONTROL and add the domain
- Specify the folder e.g. HTDOCS/YOURDOMAIN.COM
- Log into your FTP using the username provided (You FTP
server address is shown in the KNOWLEDGE BASE section of
the control panel)
- Inside the HTDOCS folder create the FOLDER you specified
in the control panel - for example YOURDOMAIN.COM
- Upload the files from your computer to the FOLDER you
- Please wait 24-72 hours for you DNS changes to take effect
- Please allow 24 hours for the new domain to become active
on the control panel
- You can now add email account by clicking on the EMAIL
CONTROL link in the control panel
Step By Step Set-Up Guide
1. Change the DNS or Name Server settings of your domain
To do this you will need to log-in to the web site of the company
that registered your domain name - if the company does not allow
you to change the DNS settings online then you will need to call
them to get them to change this. They will not charge you for this
as you own the domain.
There are usually 2 DNS servers and they need to be changed to
the following addresses:
Once you have changed this please allow up to 3 days for the effect
to take place. This takes up to 3 days because the new IP addresses
of the DNS servers need to be updated across the world so that your
web site can be found by users of the Internet around the world!
While this is being updated you can continue onto step 2 to add
your domain to the control panel.
2. You need to add your domain in the control panel
To add your domain to the control panel you need to first log into
the control panel.
- Click on Log In link at the top of the page, this will take
you to the control panel log in page.
- Enter the username and password you have been given.
- Log in and click DOMAIN CONTROL on the top navigation bar
- Click Add Domain then enter the name of your domain name - do
not include WWW as this is already included.
- Enter the directory for the domain which can be any directory
but as a rule your directory should be the same name as your domain,
so therefore if your domain is MYDOMAIN.COM then in the directory
field it should read /htdocs/mydomain.com see below:
- Click Next and then click OK
3. You now need to create you directory you specified above
in your FTP account
An FTP account is where all your files for your web site is stored,
so you will first need to design your web site using a web design
program like Macromedia Dreamweaver or Microsoft Front Page and
then you will need to put the files into this FTP Folder for your
web site to show up online.
Before you continue you need to find your FTP address. To find
this log into the GooHost online control panel click Knowledge Base,
you will see an item called FTP Server which will contain an address
next to it - something like: ftp2.dns-systems.net
Here's how to upload the files:
- Open up Internet Explorer and type in your FTP address in the
- You will be asked for a username and password - enter the username
and password you have been supplied with - this is the same as
your control panel username and password
- You will now see 3 folders and a few files.
- The folders are CGI-BIN, HTDOCS and LOGS
- Double click on the HTDOCS folder - this is where you will create
your domain directory
- Click on the FILE menu, click NEW and then click NEW FOLDER
- Name the folder the same name as you specified above in the
Directory field when adding your domain. For example if you specified
it to be /htdocs/mydomain.com then name this folder mydomain.com
- Once the folder is created, double click on it and then find
your web site files and drag and drop them into this folder from
- Please remember that the page you want the web site to display
when you go to it needs to be named either index.htm or index.php
Once this is all done, it takes about 24 hours for the changes
to take effect in our control panel and for the DNS is can take
up to 3 days. Just check if its working by opening up Internet Explorer
and by typing in your domain name in the address bar.
If you need any help you can refer to the Knowledge Base in the
GooHost control panel or if you are stuck then you can just email